SQL Bulk Copy is a .NET wrapper for the ODBC Bulk Copy API. (This site is not for System.Data.SqlClient.SqlBulkCopy – please read on.)
Why use SQL Bulk Copy?
Unlike BCP (Bulk Copy Program) and BULK INSERT (Transact-SQL), the following are possible:
- Your data can come from anywhere – a file source is not required.
- Import of data from files that can’t be read by BCP or BULK INSERT.
- Conditional logic and validation.
- Multi-table import of complex or hierarchal data.
- Unit testing your import code.
It’s lightning fast.
It’s extremely easy to use.
It’s distributed under the GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE, so you can do whatever you like with it.